MAP Logo
St. Peters Historic Church
Exterior Renovation
Exterior Renovation
Exterior Prior to Renovation
Exterior Prior to Renovation
Exterior 1916 Photo
Exterior 1916 Photo
Elevation
Elevation
Interior 1916 Photo
Interior 1916 Photo
Interior During Construction
Interior during Construction
Interior Renovation
Interior Renovation
Interior Prior to Construction
Interior Prior to Construction
Interior Renovation
Interior Renovation
Ambo of Salvaged Material
Ambo of Salvaged Material
Renovated Entry
Renovated Entry
Exterior Renovation
Exterior Renovation

This historical chapel located in the National Historic Landmark District of Beaufort, SC underwent an interior and exterior renovation and restoration in 2013. The structure was essentially restored to its pre-1946 condition, undoing many of the alterations that increased its capacity.

This Chapel was originally constructed in 1846 on land donated by a parishioner and remained the only Catholic Church between Beaufort and Charleston until 1987. The front porch was filled in and a front alter was added to double the capacity of its growing parish. In 1987 the Parish’s main place of worship moved to a large 30-acre campus and only utilized the chapel on an occasional basis. In 2007, after being closed for a year, the foundation was stabilized and reopened to the public. The intent of the renovation/restoration was to restore the building to as close to the original condition as possible and be utilized as a chapel for small weddings, funerals, special services and public tours.

2013 SC Historic Preservation Honor Award by Historic Beaufort Foundation